Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

15 August 2011

Waste Management Update

So one of the projects that I am working on is trying to find a waste management solution for the horrible, disgusting trash problem that plagues Dahra (as well as the rest of the country).  As you may remember from previous blog posts, I have had some trouble with this because the mayor’s office wants to help out, yet they are not willing to provide any sort of financing (in other words, they just want their name on it). Well, I had pretty much given up on this project until my counterpart started finding women’s groups that were already cleaning their neighborhoods. These women sweep their streets once a week and then pay a horse cart to take their trash outside the city. This is awesome, because it’s what the mayor’s office wants, yet the women themselves started it (yay for grassroots initiative!). So how am I able to help them? I am trying to link the women’s groups to the mayor’s office so that the mayor’s office can supply the horse cart. I am also helping the women buy more brooms and sifters; and hopefully can invest in some trashcans down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment