Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

16 October 2010

last week in Bayakh

        Well my last week in Bayakh went very quickly. We only had a few days of class, which was good and bad at the same time. It was a nice change from the excessive amount of class we had the week before, yet I don't feel like it was enough to progress any in Wolof. I did end up moving up a level of Wolof though, which was quite uunexpected. I'm sure I'll get more comfortable with it as I move into my new site; right now, it's still just all mushed up in my head.
        Over the weekend, Julia's mom taught us how to make beignets and then cooked duck for dinner. Both were amazing! I definitely plan on making beignets when I get back to the States...yum!        


Julia mixing the ingredients

       








 















before




after











Me and my host sister, Soda
So saying goodbye to my family was kind of sad. They are very sweet and welcomed me into their home for two months. I don't feel like we really communicated or connected that much, but they definitely have a place in my heart. I plan on  visiting them in December when I come back to Thies for IST. Before leaving, my mom gave me a new dress and then cooked lamb for lunch. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of lamb, but I was able to eat the rice and sauce that she prepared as well. It was very sweet of her...now she knows that I do not like lamb though... Overall, I had a wonderful time in Bayakh and will miss everyone there. Definitely a wonderful learning experience :)

me and my host mom :)





No comments:

Post a Comment