Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

11 February 2011

6 Months In...

    Today marks 6 months of being in Senegal...and wow, time has flown by! I am still adjusting, and know that will probably continue my entire time in Senegal, but I am okay with that :) I am feeling more comfortable though, with the culture and language. And while I do not understand everything, or agree with everything Senegalese, I have learned to accept and appreciate those that I come in contact on a regular basis.
   I have spent a lot of time at my house this past week due to several factors (waiting on a desk and chair that was promised to me in November that has yet to appear, taking care of a newborn kitten, dealing with some severe allergy issues, ect), which has been rather nice. I have been able to start planning a few projects, thinking about logistics and looking up vocabulary terms. Some projects about to start after my week escape to Dakar (huge softball tournament for expats; more to come in the next blog post): moringa presentation with my host mom's new mothers group; pepinaire to start preparing for tree transplantation in local schools during the rainy season; setting up a computer room to teach IT classes; and building a solar oven and solar dryer. Very random, I know...which suits me perfectly :) Until my return from Dakar...
Me and Punx

2 comments:

  1. I see that you are busy a lot of staff.....but anyway all the best....hope you will like it...it's a great experience to travel outside your own.. i remember myself being a Fulbright at Michigan state last year....so many new things to integrate...so much to adjust to... and i imagine it's the same for you now in Senegal......i wish you good luck and take as much as you can to enrich your experience and skills ...from cultural shock to cultural enrichment..that 's how i termed it when i was in East lansing (michigan state)......
    Added to that.... if you don't mind to tell to your host mom that i miss her a lot.. (tell her about Mor Talla, that's my name)... i am now back to Champaign-Urbana for grad school....
    Stay tuned with the Senegalese culture, it's full of interesting things and i guess the community-based type of life people have will build a great side in your own experience.....let me know if i can be helpful for anything... Jerejef ba beneen yoon bu soobe Yalla

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kitten is so cute! Glad to hear you are doing well and I hope that pictures of the solar oven and dryer will be posted!

    ReplyDelete