Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

03 February 2011

Celebrating my Birthday in Dahra

     Yesterday, I celebrated my 28th birthday, and had a wonderful day! First off, I went to the missionaries' house on Tuesday and made a birthday cake (they have an oven). The cake turned out awesome...just melted in your mouth. I had some issues with the icing...turns out softened butter and melted butter will not produce the same results. Thus the icing was more of a glaze, which turned the cake into an gooy mess, but it was delicious!


     So I woke up on my birthday to coffee and cake for breakfast (breakfast of champions!) and then opend up my presents (my parents had sent me a package and the missionaries had gave me one) and cards. I am so thankful to have people care and love me as much as my family does. I am truly blessed.
     For lunch, I headed over to my host family's house, where my host mom had prepared Yassa Genard for me (Chicken, rice, and onion sauce). It was delicious! Afterwards, I got my birthday present...a kitten! It's so tiny, but sooooo cute! I just hope it makes it. It is probably too young to be taken away from it's mom, but seeing how my host family reacted around the cat and kittens, it probably has a better chance of surviving with me.

      I was also able to talk to my parents and Bob last night which always makes me happy. Even though we are so far away from each other, it felt like they were able to celebrate my birthday with me :) Thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes...makes me feel loved and special!

2 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday! Glad it was a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belated Happy Birthday, Laura! We think of you often!

    Beverly A. Beyer, Associate Director
    Stevenson Center for Community and
    Economic Development
    Illinois State University

    ReplyDelete