Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

09 September 2010

I returned to Bayakh on Wednesday, August, 25. I had mixed feelings about returning, but my host family was so welcoming that I felt completely relieved. It’s hard to integrate into a family, especially when you do not speak their native language. My family is very nice though, and helps me out as much as possible. Here are some pictures of my Senegalese family breaking fast one evening (my family is Muslim and fasting during the day since it is Ramadan).





coffee and bread -- typical "breaking fast" meal
In terms of classes, I am on my own a lot. My LCF recognized that my level of French is higher than the other volunteers (as it should be, since I’ve studied it for years and lived in France as well), so I am studying separately than the other volunteers. I’ve been going out into the community and speaking with a few business owners in French. It’s rather difficult to find people here to speak French to you; Wolof is the local language and people’s French levels vary tremendously. I like going out into the community though and greeting people :) I laugh a lot and they laugh at me, so it’s all good.

In terms of cultural experiences, I truly enjoy watching my family do everyday chores. My “sisters” wash clothes by hand, and my mom roasts her own coffee and dyes clothes. My brother takes care of the livestock (we have 2 goats and a sheep); watching him give the sheep a bath is hilarious! I think the sheep knows that it will be dinner one day soon, so it tries to be as annoying as possible – I think it’s hilarious :) I have also been able to watch a new brick wall be constructed and actual bricks be made

Overall, I am having a great time in Bayakh. There are times that I question “why am I here?” but I know that I am here in Senegal for a reason. I just pray that I make use of any and all opportunities that I am given. Thank you to everyone who has been praying for me and checking in on me – I greatly appreciate it!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there...interesting to read your blog.... i am from senegal but studying now at UIUC .... i know perfectly the family you stayed with.....I am from a small village named Mbissao not far from Bayakh.... i hope you have heard about it during your stay.....well let me know if you wanna continue having the contact.. Mor.

    ReplyDelete