Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

09 September 2010

Site Placement!

Site Placement!


So today we headed back to the training center in Thies for some more medical sessions and then to receive our permanent site placements. This will be where we will be working at in Senegal for the next two years. The way in which they reveal our sites to us was really cool  There is a basketball court at the center that has a map of Senegal painted on it. All of the volunteers were blindfolded and a staff member or current volunteer led each trainee to their respective spot on the map and handed them an envelope. Once everyone was placed, we were told to take off the blindfolds, look around to see who would be near us, and to look at our folder (see pictures below). It turns out that I will be serving in Darha in the Louga region. By what I can tell, this is a new SED site (and possible new Peace Corps site). The town has a population of 15,000 to 20,000; the town also has a busy market area. Other than that, there was not that much information in my folder, so I guess I will have to wait until my volunteer visit next week to find out more  At least I know where “home” will be for the next two years. I promise to post more information as I get it 

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting way to let you know where you will be living and working. A group of us new PCVs was just sent south to Ziguinchor without a clue, and the Senegalese hierarchy finally sent us off in bush taxis to destinations of which we had absolutely no knowledge. I, too, found myself in a village where no PCV had ever been (because it was 1963!). The map is a good idea. At the PC 30th anniversary in Washington DC, they had us all stand on a big map of the world - that's how I met my wife. Have a good experience, I'm sure you will. John

    ReplyDelete