Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

15 September 2010

Site Visit :)

So I am currently in Linguere on my volunteer visit. The purpose of the volunteer visit is to see what a volunteer in your region/sector does on a daily basis. My situation is a little different because there is not a current SED volunteer in my region, nor a volunteer in my site since it is a new site. I am staying in the regional house with the PCVL (Peace Corps Volunteer Leader) who is basically in charge of the administrative stuff in this area. The house here is really nice, couple of rooms, wifi, and dogs :) Linguere seems to be pretty chill too...pretty calm compared to Bayakh. Being at the regional house, I've been able to meet several of the other volunteers in the region; everyone seems pretty cool, so I am looking forward to living and working in this region :) The PCVL has cooked some awesome American food for us while here, so I am very happy.
Yesterday, we headed to Dahra to see the town and meet my new family. My new "dad" is the deputy mayor of the town, so pretty well connected. My new "family" is rather large (19 people!) but seem really nice. I also got to meet my counterpart whom I'll be working with a lot while in Dahra; his name is Balla and seems very nice as well. We spent most of the afternoon just hanging out with my new family. We also went to a soccer match that my "dad"'s organization sponsors, so we were treated as VIPs :)

























Dahra seems like a nice town; a little bigger than expected -- about 40,000 people. Because it is such a large town though,  I believe that I will have a lot of options when it comes to volunteer projects. I''ll just have to figure out which projects will be the most feasible and most beneficial to the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment