Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

06 May 2011

Project One = Success!

My first official project has come and gone...quite successfully if I do say so myself :) One of the missionaries in Dahra approached me about managing a "green space" project at the local middle school. I agreed and started working. Originally, the missionary had a missions team coming in that were willing to finance the project; they were going to have a local florist complete the work. I was able to step in, cut the cost of the project in half, act as interpreter, and get the school more involved in the project so as to promote ownership, which in turn will help with sustainability. An environmental club was formed (30-40 students) under the leadership of 4 science teachers and the school director. We held a meeting with everyone to introduce ourselves and discuss the project. The teachers did a wonderful job of explaining to the students the benefits of planting trees, how this experience would continue their classroom learning, and that the girls were just as capable as the boys to help with the project.

Environmental Club students


Partners!












We met one evening to start prepping the land for the project. Luckily, my PTA (program and training assistant) had arrived for a site visit and got to see me in action (great success!).

















A few days later, we all met again to start planting. We planted two sets of hedges, ten fruit trees, ground covering, two ornamental trees, and some bushes. I do not have pictures yet of the work day, but here is the finished project:



















A week later, Abby (an urban agriculture volunteer) visited the school to teach the students how to make a tree nursery. The students then helped to fill fifty tree sacks which were later sowed with shade tree seeds.
Overall, I consider this project a great success and hope to continue working with this school with future projects.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Laura!

    Sounds like a pretty amazing project! I hope some day to also have a project completed. LOL

    ReplyDelete